Tuesday 24 February 2015

Day of RAGE!!!

Day 3. Grr... 

Davies Bay Campsite to Rai Valley
Daily total: 55.53km Running total: 137.12km 


I finally made my planned early start...ha ha bollocks did I! It was all going well, everything going to schedule then somehow I fell into some form of time crack in reality and I was suddenly 2 hours later and had stuff spread out over 3 different locations. 

I make it to a town called Havelock with the grand old, simple intention of uploading a single photo for Portraits by strangers. A simple task that turned into a horrific experience. The tourist info place had misplaced their internet vochers so no internet there, a hostle wanted $6 for 45min and the Vodaphone network decided to cut out. Then there was the issue of trying to transfer the image from one device to another. My normally calm demeanour was shattered and I basically had a full on hissy fit. It has been a constant battle between me and technology on this journey. So Havelock is shite for Internet but good for green muscles (hence photo below).
 

Ah...purpose

In the midst of my techno rage, a pannier laden bike turns up with a lass called Lizzy turns up. Turns out both heading in the same direction. First cycle buddy of the South Island and first since the first week of the North Island. 

Stopped at Pelourus campsite, they wanted $15 for the night and $4 for a bar of soap. I'm not spending $4 on a bar of soap that I will loose in no time (if anyone has any tips on not losing soap, let me know). There was a free campsite 10km up the road at Rai Valley, at a site called Brown Creek Reserve (something like that). So free campsite wins. There is a river there (cold), a toilet and nowt else. Fresh water can be collected from the hose outside the fire station in town. The campsite has no camping signs but everyone camps there and the locals point you in the direction of the place. You can cross the river to explore the woods or turn right out the campsite, over the bridge and turn right at the next bridge to access the woods the dry way. 

Check out my gash. Healing up good. Need gloves.

Near the campsite in Rai Valley

Spot the Gav part 1



Spot the Gav part 2




Filthy lens
 

1 comment:

  1. glad to see service spray paint on NZ roads too.

    ReplyDelete