Saturday 28 February 2015

The wino trail...aka The Great Taste Trail

Day 6. No tasting but the whim is back... 

Nelson to Kaiteriteri
Daily total: 80km Running total: 291.12km


Today's cycling buddy today was Julia. Was heading roughly in the same direction as I found out a friend of mine was in the area. So went along apart of the Great Taste Trail which snakes around various cafes and vine yards (hence the name). It is a really sedate ride, nice and flat with the occasional hill. Just like a prolonged Sunday bike ride. It goes over a place called Rabbit Island but I did not see a single rabbit. Did see some cows. 






 On the way to Kaiteriteri, the bike path cuts out a hilly, narrow, section of the road by taking you through a mountain bike park! Damned good fun with all the gear on the bike but cannot see the winos enjoying it too much. Or maybe enjoying way toooo much. 





Did not manage to catch up with my friend so I carried on cycling on with Julia towards the Able Tasmine Great Walk. A man we met on the ferry mentioned a really good campsite at one end of the Trail whilst Julia was starting from the much closer end. So I tossed a coin to decide what end to embark on and that is how I parted ways with Julia. I was heading further North up the South Island and how I ended up in Kaiteriteri at a campsite with free golf...well putters and tennis balls. The place I was heading to the next day was called Totaranui and it was over some hill...



No comments:

Post a Comment