Monday 2 February 2015

HALF WAY!!!

Day 35. WELLINGTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Martinborough to WELLINGTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Daily total: 71.87km Running total: 2232.72km


I need to remember that I am touring (tour biking? Just what is the proper name for what I am doing?) and not mountain biking! Hitting a fair old speed heading down the gravel paths. Riding like a man without a world of possessions on the back of his bike. I sure there is potential harm to the back wheel if I continue on like this. A worry for tomorrow.

Morning view of an unrelated summit at Summit Campsite. Also highlights my increasingly anti-social behaviour. I had a choice between a campsite with people and one without. Without won.

Whilst heading a long the Hutt River Trail all my suspicions about the madness of the signs on cycle trails were confirmed by a council worker, as I stood perplexed at one of the many badly sign posted junctions. According to the council worker (he potters around the tracks on a bicycle...I want that job!), the sign system was devised by a bunch of non-cyclists from a far. They had never set foot on the tracks themselves. What makes sense on paper does not always make sense in real life. It does explain the madness and incoherent nature of the signs. 



I hit Petone, the town on the opposite side of the habour to Wellington. Here I get my first glimpse of my final destination of the North Island! Over 2000km covered to reach this point. It that point, the city was just a vague blob on the horizon. This was the final straight to the vague, exciting blob in the distance, I had no real clue of where I was heading or where I was going to stay. All I knew was to follow a series of cycle paths and all will become good. Just head to the center. The sun was shining, grin fixed on face, getting a groove on to Sublime. Possibly looking like a crazy, dancing away on a bike with a t-shirt wrapped around my head in the center of the city as buckets of sweat poured off me. I was half way, nothing was to spoil my mood. All I knew was that I would need to book a ferry promptly before I fall for the charm of Wellington. 

Check out that blob in the distance.
The blob grows.
Magical technology in Wellington. No need to watch for cyclists anymore...

Feel free to comment away. It can be about anything, from suggestions to places to visit, questions about how to donate to feedback about my writing skills or even if you want want to get involved. Let me know.  Due to the spiteful nature of technology, leaving comments is not a straight forward process as you think it would be...to post a comment, you need to sign in using a google account or just select the anonymous option on the drop down box. Comment away and spread the word!

1 comment:

  1. I love the fact that watching for cyclist ends as a GB sign appears lol :)

    ReplyDelete