Monday 23 February 2015

It proper starts here it does

Day 1. Beginnings... 

Picton to Davies Bay Campsite (Queen Charlotte Track)
Daily total: 38.35km Running total: 38.35km


As it is a new start, on a new island, all the counters have been reset. No particular reason why, it just seems the right thing to do.
 
I was on that boat. The day before and at a different time. Also a different company. And it was a different colour.
The toilets in Picton get a mention for being the most talkative and most sound effects laden toliets I have ever come across. 


Doors make Star Trek noises and I did find myself swearing profusely at the bastard things. Especially when it decided it that my allocated time was up (it wasn't) right in mid-pooh. Savour that image.

After the crappy nights sleep, I was tired, undecided and jacked up on too much coffee. The Queen Charlotte track was close by and is one of the Great Walks of NZ and you could cycle on it. So sod it, Queen Charlotte it is. People plan and what not to do it, not me. Plans never seem to go to plan, so why plan? Although the act of not planning does resemble some form of plan...the road leading from Picton is cool, its winding roads that hug the coast, a good easy start.




I got there, set up camp, blah, blah, blah, more Germans, blah, blah, blah, cooked food, blah, blah, blah and nearly run over two American's tent whilst riding my bike in the night. Chatting to them we were accosted by a belligerent possum. It really did not give a shit. Even when being threatened with a stick by a giant,  the possum was all like 'meh'. 

One of the Americans, Jonas then agreed to participate in the 'Portraits by strangers' (www.facebook/portraitsbystrangers) side fundraising project I have going on.


Post a caption to this photo in the comments section below.

No comments:

Post a Comment