Monday 23 February 2015

Half Way Report (long overdue pt 2)

Yet more words and still no pictures...

OK, this is the less angst ridden ramblings of a solitutary cyclist.

The beginnings where hard. No training, no experience of panniers or cycling for any prolonged lengths of time. Also the months worth of heavy partying around Asia may have not been the best training regime but this is me. A sensible start would have been too easy. Admittedly there was the first night panic of 'What the fuck are you doing you daft twat? You have no idea what you are doing!' Getting a bit pissed helped a great deal.

The 90 Mile beach, still has not been beaten in terms of the hardest things I've done on this journey. It was physically and psychologically draining and this was on the first full day of cycling. I think that experience hardened my resolve. There have been some hard days since but nothing compares toto what I endured that blistering hot, windy day. Would I revisit the 90 Mile beach? Get to fuck. Give me the horrors of the Gental Annie any day!

Some legs of the journey would have benefitted by having a fellow cyclist (again 90 Mile Beach), whist it was good to have company from the Ozzie's on the Missing Trail. Without them, I would have not made it to the meeting point to get the fishing boat. That day was a brutal ride but the sense of accomplishment getting on that boat was immense. So was the cup of tea on the boat. I had never tasted tea so good. I was happy not to have company on the route to the Bridge to Nowhere. The route itself is alright, some stunning views at the top but it turned out to be more of an introspective journey. Especially knowing the history behind the place made it more poinent. It will be an experience that will stay with me for a long time. Wellington needs a shout because it is an awesome city full of awesome people. I will return!

Finally, a massive thank you needs to go out to the following: the Pomaria Krew for putting me up on my return to NZ and again when I fucked me knee (also for looking after my shit-if I die, divie it up amongst yourselves!), Audrey Marville for helping with sorting out the website stuff at the beginning, Foxgloves B&B for a great Christmas and the kagol! Also Scott's Place for making my tent feel like a proper room by providing electricity and light, also the business cards. Their boss! Finally a collective thank you to all the Warmshowers hosts who have fed me and given me a place to sleep. Oh yeah, thanks to all those ramdon strangers who have helped out in their own special ways and cheers to you for taking the time out of your day to read my ramblings. Last but not least, a big thank you to all those who have donated to the cause! With out you, this journey would be in vain.

No comments:

Post a Comment