Sunday 4 January 2015

Hard choices!

Day 16. Difficult morning and difficult body parts!

Waihi to Tauranga (Spoiler alert!)
Daily total: 65.82km Running total: 860.82km


No photos of the day!

Woke up in the morning. The knees were not joyful. I would say pretty pissed at my exploits yesterday! I had the option of staying in Waihi for an extra day in hope for the knees to get out of their foul pain inducing revenge mood, try and find a place to stay in between Waihi and Tauranga or head straight to Tauranga. The first two options would have meant arriving in Tauranga on new years eve, leaving little time to round up a crew for the new years or go straight there today and have 3 nights of non-cycling action. Long and short and the fact I have given away the set up to this part of the story in the bold lettering above, I made it Tauranga! Don't know how but I did and it paid off. Was very happy to have done the journey all in one go and with a day to spare! 200km in 2 days. Too much. 

Whilst on route to Tauranga, ended up having a bit of a international panier party in Katikati. Party being a over statement. Lunch in a park. Shared stories. Parted ways. All bikes involved being at various levels of sophistication. Carbon frames, proper equipment, Go-pros, so many different handles on the handle bars. To the extent of looking like antlers! Yep. My bike sat at the bottom of bells and whistles but at least gravel roads or pot holes are not so much of an issue for me. One guy, from one of the world's super powers, fresh to NZ was not that impressed with anyone elses set up. He had all the bells and whistles and then some. So what if I did not have magic clip on cycle shoes, many handle bars and as many gears as him. Although, to be fair, I was a bit jealous of the mini flag pole.

He shot off in the same direction of me. I stopped loads because of the knees and I caught up with Mr. Fancy Pants Bells and Whistles bike. Top of the range does not equate amazing cyclist. If you can be good using what is too hand, imagine how good you would be with the proper tools. 

Turns out the Highway I was going along was called 'Suicide Road' by the locals. It wasn't that bad. Nothing to make you want to end your life to.


Feel free to comment away. It can be about anything, from suggestions to places to visit, questions about how to donate to feedback about my writing skills or even if you want want to get involved. Let me know.  Due to the spiteful nature of technology, leaving comments is not a straight forward process as you think it would be...to post a comment, you need to sign in using a google account or just select the anonymous option on the drop down box. Comment away and spread the word!

No comments:

Post a Comment