Tuesday 20 January 2015

The magical powers of Mt. Doom have deserted me...

Day 27. On a whim, on a hangover...

Hunterville to Taihape
Daily total: 64.86km Running total: 1628.41km


Before Wanganui, I had been pushing it hard. Rough terrain, climbing mountains, just kept on going like the Duracell Bunny. Even in Wanganui I was pushing it hard food wise. Just shoveling vast quantities of unhealthiness into the system. In the few days in the town, I had consumed so many spuds, half a kilo of cheese, bags of corn snacks, dozen eggs, loads of bacon, near on a loaf of bread and near on 400g of butter! Everything I cooked was laced with butter! The unhealthiness of those few days may have caught up with me today. It was a hard day of riding despite the relative flatness of everything (except for the obligatory big hills right at the beginning and at the end). My magical powers gained from Mt. Doom had vanished. Boundless energy replaced with fatigue and doubt...the laying of the foundations for a hangover the night before may have been a major contributing factor to my nihilistic mind set of the day. Also chasing the whim of volunteering at the Kiwiburn Festival played a supporting role. 

Morning in Hunterville.

Hunterville sheep sculptures. 

Sheep and bench...Shench? Beep?

I paid a visit to the festival as it was been set up and found out that they were at maximum capacity in terms of their volunteer quota. They did suggest heading a little bit down the road to Vinegar Hill Campsite to meet some of the festival goers for a pre-festival festival. Why not? I have gone this far. I scoured the Vinegar Hill Campsite for potential Kiwiburn attendees, but to no avail. The flames of the whim had been extinguished. Back to the original plan of the Gentle Annie. On reflection, the whim would have been costly in terms of days, it would have added an additional 10 days to the journey down to Wellington!

What is it with the big hills just near the finish point of the day? At least it was downhill into Taihape and downhill it was. The campsite I had planned to stay at had been bought out and closed down by a Sheep shearing company just before Christmas. The local information centre suggestions for camping involved by the public toilet opposite the police station or in the bushes at the recreation ground. Both unappealing as needed to prepare for the big day tomorrow of the Gentle Annie. I find a backpackers close by (set on top of a hill upon a hill), the owner was slightly hesitant in letting me stay at first, as the place was full of sheep shearers and was a bit of a mess. I mentioned my options of public toilet camping or hiding in a bush in the park! I was allowed to stay and got a discount! It was a really cool hostel with amazing views called Rusty Nail Hostel. Although lacking in 'Rusty Nails', missing a trick there. 

On the way to Taihape.

The view from the hostel in Taihape.
The roadside bloody glove in it's natural habitat.

Sun set in Taihape.



Feel free to comment away. It can be about anything, from suggestions to places to visit, questions about how to donate to feedback about my writing skills or even if you want want to get involved. Let me know.  Due to the spiteful nature of technology, leaving comments is not a straight forward process as you think it would be...to post a comment, you need to sign in using a google account or just select the anonymous option on the drop down box. Comment away and spread the word!

2 comments:

  1. Rusty nails and sheep shearers now that's interesting!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The kindness of the Innkeepet puts me in mind of a parable!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete