Thursday 15 January 2015

I climbed a Mountain yesterday!

Day 22. It was used in the previous entry but 'There is always one more hill thrown in at the end'

Whakapapa to Ohakune
Daily total: 71.76km Running total: 1315.75km


After scaling mountain, running and doing one of the world's best One Day Walks, it was time for a rest...and you know I didn't. Some primeval part of me had awoken and disregarded what my body has been through the past few days and weeks adventures. I need to move. Back on the bike. Don't think. Move. Rest will happen in Ohakune! They have shops and what not. Also a DOC camping site. 

Leaving the national park.

Really want me to mutter the 'b' word?

On the fence sheep.


The journey was all highways between the two places with the option of going down the 'Old Coach Road'. This would be harder and add km to the trip to Ohakune. Although it would be more interesting than the road. The trail was unsealed but more fun. You have to compromise! Fun over speed. Anytime! It was a great, varied ride. Mixture of forest, farmland, bridges and country side to keep anyone interested.

The start of Old Coach Road.


Cannot walk along this one.
This one required to be considerate to other people. There were no other people! I was on my best inconsiderate behaviour!
What is wrong with this photo from the designated cycle track?


The trail has a number of information points along the way, detailing the history of the area. I regret not opening the 'Do not open' box. Not knowing would haunt me forever! Luckily, once I hit Ohakune looking for a place to stay did I find an answer to what was in the forbidden to open box! That demon was laid to rest there and then.

A thought hit me whilst I was on the trail. If I had a proper touring bike, with the thin tires and what not. I would not be able to be on this trail at all. It would be all main roads. That would be awful! At the start of the journey in Cape Reinga, I thought having the improper tool for the job would hinder me, but it has done the opposite. It was opened up new opportunities to me; mountain biking in Taupo, he Missing Link, Old Coach Road. These would have been a nightmare with a tour bike. 

Ohakune is a small ski town but still holds loads of charm during the quiet summer months. I could have easily spent way more time there. All the music in bars and being piped out into the street, appealed to my age group. One place was playing 'Nightmares on Wax' and similar tunes whilst another was more Indie classics mixed with Grunge and just generally the good stuff from the 1990's. It has been my favourite small town in NZ so far. Beats Raglan hands down! Maybe having Hobgoblin beer in the shop helped with this assessment of the place.


Spot the Goblin.

Turns out it is famous for carrots and somewhere in the town is a large carrot to celebrate this fact. Will it out giant the giant L&P bottle in Paeroa?

No comments:

Post a Comment