Thursday 15 January 2015

Whimming it...

Day 20. Forget careful planning

Taupo to Turangi
Daily total: 59.47km Running total: 1187.78km



Late start. The great technological fuster cluck is to blame for that...but I will back track and head off any potential questions about the destination of the day 'Turangi? Isn't that South of Lake Taupo? And weren't you heading towards the Timber Trail?' Yes, yes and not any more are my answers to your very observant questions. I am glad you asked them. 

The intention for today was to head to the start point of the Timber Trail but Mt. Ngauruhoe (aka. Mt. Doom) had other plans for me. Mt. Doom was the new plan. All the weather conditions were set for a good tramp over the Tonagario Crossing that houses Mt. Doom. Also, everyone I spoke to in Taupo was raving about it. I am easily swayed. It did not help that Mt. Ngauruhoe was sat on the other side of Lake Taupo, being as alluring as a mountain can be. I do not get many mountains being alluring to me, so I was easily allured. Also, sorting out provisions for a number of days seemed waaaaay too much effort compared to scaling an active volcano! Did I mention that part before? No? Parts of the Tonagario Crossing lay within an active volcanic zone. Should have mentioned that Mt. Doom can kill in more novel ways (pyroclastic clouds novel and lahar!) than your run of the mill, garden variety mountain.

The mourning also saw me entering the local press office to drum up some support for Bluffing It and resulted in an interview with the local reporter. Who knows if it will make it to print. Only time will tell. I think I conducted myself well, only swearing profusely on a few occasions. 

Go Gav and all your developments!


The whole of Christmas?

 
So the great technological fluster cuck. Any physical attempt or even metaphysical attempt at accessing or even thinking about the internet ended up in horror. Horribly, horrific horror! The type of horror that nightmares have nightmares about that awaken them with a thud but only to find themselves living in another nightmare. Like the film 'Inception' but with Internet instead of guns and me instead of whatever Hollywood heart throb was in it (me?). Going to the libraries 'Skype' room was no help. Just a helpless voice at the end of the line repeating 'Hello? Can't hear you' whilst I declared the Skype room as shite. A consensus agreed by all other users of the room as I hollered a rainbow of profanities down a none existent line. 

My white road ninja look was getting some mixed reactions on the road, a couple from Israel thought I looked a bit those bellends who keep changing their names and being massive dicks. IS? IBS? Anyways, would explain the terrified looks which I mistook as looks of pure awe when entering country road petrol stations. 
IS? Road Ninja? Or just a guy with a T-Shirt wrapped around his head? You decide.
Such awkward posing by me. I need lessons in how to be photographed. I do have my pout on though whilst holding my imaginary wheelbarrow.
An advantage of cycling around a lake on a hot day in swimming trunks...well...I'll let you work that one out. 


Stayed at the A1 Lodge in Turangi. Cheap, good atmosphere and allows camping on site. Little bit out of town but then, the town is tiny. Used to be a school.

No comments:

Post a Comment