Saturday 21 March 2015

The Great Stomp through the Great Walk!

Day 34 and 35. 3 to 4 days walking sounds too long...


The Kepler Track
Walking total: 69.1kTotal Hours: 35

Proper shite night of sleep, only managed a couple of hours sleep, I put this down to 3 parts excitement mixed with 1 part nerves. The Kepler will be my first proper tramping experience. I have gone for long walks before, but none that required me to carry my home on my back along with all the trappings of self sufficiency, a tiny little paranoid voice plaguing my subconscious that I have forgotten something essential to this adventure by foot. The other person in the dorm had just completed the track a few days before and was impressed by my packing skills, how every available inch of space was not wasted. My saucepans contained cooking gas, spork, stove, teabags, socks, lighter, washing up liquid and garlic. The reminder of my packing followed suit, water bottle, spare t-shirt and hat, all rolled into the sleeping mat and hung off the bag for easy access. Everyone I would encounter on the walk had 80 liter backpacks, mine, maybe holds around 20 liters. I was traveling light. Although, I was a nosy git, when ever anyone emptied their bag, I would have a sly gander at their contents. I found out two things 1) People bring a lot of crap and 2) people don't pack well. Anyways, I digress. Other people's packing habits are not the most interesting. But why bring two full sized saucepans? Madness. Anyways, focus.

Spending the night at the hostel was a good idea, given my ineptness of packing up camp quickly. Also meant I left the hostel 5.30am. It was dark. Very dark. Head torch dark. So the first few hours of the day was spent walking in total darkness. No street lights or ambient background light or moon light. That sort of dark. I somehow manage to reach the Kepler Track with out getting lost in darkness and start it in darkness. Best. Plan. Ever!

That dark!


Getting there...
...nearly there...
...good morning, morning!

Careering through the woods in the dark, the head torch struggling to light the way, a crazed man on a mission. My campsite, a mere 30 odd km away. With a mountain to navigate and the threat of rain kicking in mid afternoon. As always, a nice easy first time experience I have set myself. As stomped through the forest the sun is slowly rising. My first full on sun rise in years and it was a corker watching the sun rise through the trees. Golden rays slowly bursting their way through the trees and hitting the dense, mossy undergrowth. Everything was bathed in warm morning light. Everyone at the campsite I passed through seemed very happy because of it. I stomp on. Safe in the knowledge that I won't be catching up with anyone for a long time. I'm essentially, the first person heading in that direction for the day. 

I felt like curling up in a beam of light on a bed of moss. It was as warm as it looks.
It has been awhile since a bench appearance.
  It was a long slog up the hill, walking past bluffs, knowing the top was coming soon as the forest was becoming less dense. I eventually break through the tree line into a wide open space, surrounded by mountains. 


Just wall...
...to wall...
...views.
The way ahead.

Whist going along the ridges, I see a familiar shape in the distance. A lone figure making it's way towards me. It is Helmet again!  So we both stomp up to Mt. Luxmore just as the weather looking like it is ready to change into something nasty. From this view point can see and feel the battle between the sun and the rain clouds. 

Tea break.


At the top of Mt. Luxmore

In the bottom left is the path leading to Mt. Luxmore.

So much beauty in the world...ruined time and time again...fecking mountains!

Helmet has to head back, as he was committed to just a days jaunt, we part ways (again), for the final time (again) this time (again). Both heading in different directions. I press on, with the weather looking like it is going to go downhill fast, along the snaking paths that follow the line of the ridges. Its windy, cold and wet at points. I'm glad to have heeded the advice of the DOC office. I am to have hired the coat now, cocooned in all it;s wind and rain proof goodness.

Come on sun!
It wouldn't be New Zealand without a toilet in a far flung remote place!

At one of the rest stops, I saw a mountain parrot, known as a Kea. I have been warned about them. They are very inquisitive and will chew the shit out of anything! 

Kea. Not to be confused with Kia!

Then I chilled out at a look out point, taking in the full glory of the area whilst listening to Fear Factory and GLC. Not the classeyest of tunes, but I have to make do. I was getting bored of my own company. 



This is now associated with Fear Factory and Goldy Lookin Chain!

I hit the campsite in the misty rain. It is not a friendly campsite. The threat of rain (and sand flies) seems to have made everyone antisocial to people they don't know. Then it rained all night. As it does these days. Next to the campsite is a hut for the people with money. They get beds and walls and flush toilets, stoves, loo roll. Basically a hostel. But without power. We has a fire pit and a wall less shelter. Proper hardcore us.

To the left: how the other half live!

Sensible tramping attire. Nowt but the best for me!
In the morning, it was still raining a light rain, so I had to pack up camp in this wet. Never a fun task. The second part of the track was mostly through the forest, which was great in the rain as everything seemed more green. So much moss and mushrooms! Purple ones! Can the purple ones be eaten? Looks like they should. I can imagine them tasting sweet.







In all, I walked 69.1km (including the crappy trail that leads to the beginning of the Kepler) in just under 36hours. It was hard. The guide suggests 3-4 days. 

I get back to the hostel feeling destroyed and daunted by the fact I would need to set up camp. I arrive,the girls behind the counter ply me with tea and informed me that because of a severe infestation of school kids in the backpackers, I could get myself a single room to myself for the price of a dorm room! More than camping but fuck it. I earned that treat. Also, good to dry my tent. The room looked ransacked after about 5 minutes of me entering the room.

No comments:

Post a Comment